Not only are we changing our name—we are also shifting our vision that will result in explosive growth!
Revival Church is adopting a Greek word in scripture to help define our new vision. Our new name is Chliaros Church. Chliaros is pronounced khlee-ar-os’.
Here are our new Core Values: (Our old Core Values can be found here: http://detroitrevivalchurch.com/about)
- Our mission is your comfort. We know that its important for people to be affirmed in their personal choices, desires and level of commitment.
- Tolerance is in our DNA. We commit to encourage you in your life decisions because your personal happiness is what matters most.
- We rally around your vision. We will shift our focus when it conflicts with yours.
- We respond to the status quo. We embrace relevance and we will yield to the prevailing cultural norms in our society.
- There are many churches in the city, and that is a problem. We commit to protect you from outside influences by ensuring you are only impacted by our ministry. We are here to protect you.
- We affirm honest analysis. We will teach on common sense and wise approaches to success in life.
- We are all about the numbers. A low key, toned down service will help us grow numerically. We want to impact the masses with our satisfying and affirming atmosphere of happiness!
- The mission of the majority prevails. We support a democratic, body led ministry where the people vote on what our mission emphasis should be—and we then serve that vision.
- We refuse to offend people through unnecessary challenge. We understand that a comfortable atmosphere is an affirming atmosphere. We won’t burden you with misapplied biblical standards for living.
- Giving is optional. While many churches believe that every person should give at least ten percent of their money to the church, we believe its better to give according to what you feel is appropriate.
- Sickness and disease are a part of life. And we commit to saying a prayer for you so you are comforted in your trial.
- We err on the side of order. We know it’s important to feel at home and unthreatened in a worship atmosphere.
- Due to challenging schedules we will not be praying on site at churches every Friday night. It will be much easier to start a Facebook page where people can post their prayers at their convenience.
- The School of Fire will change its name to the School of Chliaros People. We will eliminate the emphasis on groaning (which is weird and makes people uncomfortable) and will start to emphasize teaching on how to excel in your personal dreams.
- We will be shifting from calling people to extreme commitment to encouraging them to only attend a service once or twice a month. Summer is almost here and we believe it’s better to spend time relaxing with your family in the beautiful weather than most anything else in life. (Amy and I will also stop attending as often with the same principle in mind.)
- Our services will be limited to one hour.
- We will always cancel services for the Super Bowl.
- I will start wearing a suit.
Oh, and our key verse will be changing from Joshua 3:5 to Revelation 3:16:
Revelation 3:16 (NKJV) 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.
Vine’s Words: Lukewarm
Greek Word: χλιαρός
Part of Speech: adj
Root: from chlio (to warm)
Thank you for your continued support of Chliaros Church!
Posted APRIL 1, 2012
Proverbs 18:2 (ESV) 2 A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.